Homemade Honey Lemon Cough Syrup
Before you head off to the pharmacy and collect some cough or sore throat medicine, take a moment to read about the medicinal benefits of honey and how to make your very own homemade cough syrup from Dr Mercola.
Honey has natural antibacterial and antiviral properties. But, you would have to overdose on the honey in order to achieve the effect of treating the virus in your body.
However, if you suffer from a sore throat with your cold, raw honey is as effective as cough syrup or cough drops.
Remember that honey is a natural sugar and taken in large amounts will adversely affect your insulin and leptin levels.
Lemon helps promote health by quickly alkalinizing your body, and honey will kill any bacteria. This is a perfect choice for a quick cough remedy.
1. Put a pint of raw honey in a pan on the stove on VERY low heat (Do not boil honey as this changes its medicinal properties).
2. Take a whole lemon and boil in some water in a separate pan for two to three minutes, to both soften the lemon and kill any bacteria that may be on the lemon skin.
3. Let the lemon cool enough to handle, then cut it in slices and add it to the pint of honey on the stove.
4. Let mixture cook on warm heat for about an hour.
5. Then strain the lemon from the honey, making sure all lemon seeds are removed.
6. Let cool, then bottle in a jar with a lid and store in the refrigerator.
This syrup will keep for two months in the refrigerator. To soothe a cough, take 1/2 teaspoon for a 25-pound child and 1 teaspoon for a 50-pound child, about four times a day, or as often as needed. Adults can take 1 tablespoon doses.
If you feel this has helped in any way or you have any questions, please leave a comment below.
Join our community.
Learn from the best.